The Rewards of Reconnecting
A wide range of tangible benefits ensue once we take up the Quest to rediscover and reconnect to our Creative Core and experience its resting state of Just Being. A quick review of the central concepts:
- The quest for self-knowledge – or simply the Quest – was defined in Onward Through The Storm as “the journey to discover my authentic self, the center of my being, and to strive day-to-day to strengthen my connection to this inner core.”
- The state of our innermost core is one of attentiveness and equanimity. In A Simple Term Illuminates Our Core State, I named this state Just Being.
- The center of our being, as described in Consciousness at the Core, is comprised of consciousness. And because consciousness is the fusion of awareness and will, it has the power to create. Hence, I termed this center of being our Creative Core.
Rediscovering & Reconnecting
As infants and small children we had ready access to our Creative Core. We lived in it and acted from it more often than not. The natural joy and curiosity, the wide-open love and trust that radiates from small children does so from the core of their being.
As we grow older, however, we start constricting the connection to our Creative Core in an attempt to protect ourselves from the inevitable hardships of life. By the time we become adults, many if not most of have all but fully lost touch with our core self, and our connection steadily attenuates as we experience additional difficult life events. I describe this process in Recalling Our True Nature.
This gradual closing down is truly tragic if left unattended to, because when we are fully connected to our Creative Core, life is notably more creative, productive and satisfying. Not always easy or enjoyable, certainly, but consistently meaningful and fulfilling – especially as we enhance our ability to act from our Creative Core while consciously maintaining our connection to it. By “act” here, I mean all forms of outward movement from our core of consciousness, including thinking.
This skill is by no means easy to acquire. Progressing on the Quest requires a strong commitment. But the rewards accrue at virtually every step, notwithstanding the fact that acquiring self-knowledge can itself give rise to pain at times, especially in the earlier stages.
Everything Gets Better
The life-changing benefits of engaging the Quest include:
- Relaxing into my Creative Core and moving toward a state of Just Being revitalizes my energy and clarifies my mind.
- The closer I am to my core, the more intentionally I can choose where to place my attention and direct my energy. Instead of being on autopilot and reacting to incoming sensations from impulse or habit, my field of potential responses and choices expands as I relax back toward my Creative Core.
- When I am aware of my connection to core consciousness, I can more calmly observe my thoughts, feelings and behaviors since I am less caught up in and identified with them.
- As I move “out of my head” and into my awareness, especially my bodily awareness, my senses enliven and I open up to the world around me.
- The more stable I am in my Creative Core, the less I am buffeted about by the winds of unexpected change.
- When grounded in my core I am more connected to my deeper knowing, and thus less susceptible to emotion-triggering speech, such as the current plague of wild conspiracy thinking, ‘fake news’ and propaganda.
- The more familiar I am with my Creative Core, the more readily I recognize the corresponding core in other people – even when they are not aware of it themselves. In fact, relating to another person from my core can help that person sense and connect to their own core.
- Engaging from our Creative Core makes genuine dialogue, cooperation and creative conflict resolution much more achievable. This is a primary reason that taking up the Quest is increasingly relevant and consequential in today’s troubled world.
As significant and manifold as these benefits are, there are numerous others as well. Because coming to know and connect to our authentic core self is a profound, ongoing, transformative journey.